Sunday, March 28, 2010

My bone marrow biopsy revealed that I have no leukemia. The problem is that my bone marrow is "too tired" to continue on the chemo regimen that was planned for me. My Dr. has decided to start me on the process of getting ready for a bone marrow transplant. This is what I was hoping to avoid since the beginning. It means having a caregiver 24 hours a day, getting an apartment up in Seattle, and lots of medical expenses. I have one last try at avoiding needing a bone marrow/stem cell transplant. The Dr. has switched a couple of my medications that may have immunosuppressive side effects. I will go in for my 6th round of chemo tomorrow. If I can get my counts back up in a timely matter I may be able avoid the transplant. I have been typed for the transplant. My brother, Nick, will be checked. He has a 1/4 chance of being a match. If not they will go to the National Database to look for an anonymous donor.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffany,

    I just wanted you to know I've been following your story and praying for you. A friend of a friend's son has the same diagnosis as you and he just turned 15. I check both of your websites frequently to see how you are doing. I have always had a fear of needles but late last year realized it was just plain selfish for me not to donate blood. When I read your story and realized I had the same blood type as you it re-enforced just how important it is to donate. I donated for my 2nd time 3 weeks ago. I also recently registered to become a bone marrow donor. Anyway...I just wanted to send you a note and let you know that I will continue to pray for a speedy recovery for you and I have shared your story to my loved ones to have you added to their prayer chains as well!

    Prayers your way,

    McKenzi Winslow

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I used to donate blood, but now I can never donate blood again. I also used to be on the donor registry. Is the webite for your friend of a friend public? I would love to see his blog. tiffany

    ReplyDelete