Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day +103 Blood Transfusion

What better time to update! I am getting a blood transfusion today, so there is not a lot to do for the next 5 hours.

I am now done with the transplant doctors at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. Today was my last appointment with them. Now, I am going back to the 4th floor at the SCCA. Back to my old oncologist. I no longer have anything implanted into my body for blood draws/transfusions. After a port, 2 Hickmans, and 2 PICC lines, it is nice to be done with all that. I now have to get poked in my arm for lab draws and an IV inserted for infusions.

Today, my hematocrit is 28 (26 on Monday). My neutraphils (I call 'em neuties for short) were .81. So, I had to get blood and a G-shot. The doctors are not too worried about the low counts. They say that around 30% of people still need this type of support at this point and I should not need them much longer. Getting blood when you are low is like an energy drink anyways. I feel great afterward.

I turned in the keys to my secret getaway in Seattle on Saturday. Travis, Loghan, and I headed up there on Saturday, packed up, and said goodbye. No more Pete Gross House. It has been great being back home.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you are going through this, I can somewhat relate as I am also a cancer survivor. Keep positive and do everything they tell you to, like eat/drink even if you don't want to.

    Believe in yourself and you will get through this. Trust this. Take care and be well!

    ReplyDelete