Sunday, July 11, 2010

First Day of Radiation, July 10th, Saturday




Today, I headed up to Seattle for my first round of radiation. I have included a picture to give you an idea of what the total body irradiation looks like. I had radiation at 8AM and 2PM. They give 3 rounds to your back and 3 rounds to your front. Half of the rounds have lead blocks to protect your lungs and half do not. I felt good for the first round. Then, we went over to the SCCA, to meet with the nurse, get labs checked, and hook up to my mobile IV hydration. Then, as I went back to the UW for radiation, I started feeling queasy. I ended up throwing up in between rounds. After that I felt a ltitle better and was able to finish. We stayed at the Marriot on Lake Union right near the SCCA. Travis and I got food to go from the restaurant for dinner. Unfortunately, that didn't last long and I threw that up also. I also developed swollen parotid glands and a bad headache. The nurse suggested ice for my glands and drinking Gatorade for my headache. The radiation eats up the hydration in our systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment